Bruce Molsky rocks.
Adam Hurt playing a gourd banjo and Matthew Olwell flatfooting at The Garage in Charlottesville VA, June 29th, 2011. The tunes are John Riley the Shepherd / Brushy Fork of John's Creek.
One of my favorite clawhammer banjo players playing one of my favorite tunes (Cumberland Gap).
TED talk about Nikola Tesla
If Nikola Tesla was alive today I bet he would enjoy a Boosted Board.
During the 2013 Project Connect Conference held at the Asheville School in Asheville, NC I presented a workshop entitled "Introduction to STEM Education. This post acts as a resource pages for this workshop.
My workshop co-facilitator was Ed Maggart who is the new Head of School at The College School in St. Louis. Ed is a long time friend and has been teaching Science and Mountaineering for 30+ years.
1. Engineering Design Challenge -- Participants in this workshop learned about the T and the E of STEM education through an "engineering design challenge" I created called "Time Aloft". Click on the link below to download a description of the challenge.
2. Soda Bottle Launcher -- The challenge required participants to launch a tennis ball using an AquaPod. CLICK HERE to learn more about the AquaPod soda bottle launcher.
3. Flow Chart -- Ed and I developed a workshop flow chart to help manage our time.
4. Posters -- I created posters for this workshop and hung them around the room. I referred to the posters during the workshop. Click on the links below to download copies of these documents.
5. Curriculum -- During this workshop I mentioned the STEM curriculum known as Engineering By Design which was developed by the ITEEA (see below). I strongly believe this curriculum is perfect for those working in independent schools.
4. Video Message from ITEEA President & CEO -- Towards the end of the workshop participants viewed a video message from Steve Barbato who is the President & CEO of the International Technology and Engineering Educators Association located in Washington, DC. I met with Steve prior to this workshop and shared details about the conference and details about this particular workshop. Steve developed a custome message for workshop attendees. The video is embeded below. Click on the link directly below to download a PDF copy of Steve's message.
My bucket list includes a trip to Burning Man. Here's some video shot at the 2013 Burn.
New article over at IEEE says:
Forget the dire predictions of a looming shortfall of scientists, technologists, engineers, and mathematicians.
IEEE is the world’s largest professional association dedicated to advancing technological innovation and excellence for the benefit of humanity.
Teaching electronics to kids (especially young kids) can be challenging. Here's a cool product that makes it easy and fun.
LittleBits -- electronic modules that snap together with magnets for prototyping, learning and fun.